Thursday, July 24, 2008

If I could bottle it...

Right now, I’m sitting in the presence of a man who has energy beyond my comprehension.

Today is my “late day” at work. This means that my hours, which are typically 7:30 – 4:30, are altered and I work 10:30 – 7:30 to better serve my clients. It’s an “ok” thing. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love it – nor do I pretend to… neither do my co-workers. ANYWAY… my husband recently started working for the same company I do and his hours are 8 – 5. We drive into downtown together to save gas. This results in me sitting at a Caribou Coffee shop at 7:30am on Thursdays, waiting for my “late day” to begin at 10:30.

(N) works at Caribou. I just have to say that this man's energy simply amazes me. It does!

Ok, here’s an example of what transpired in the last few minutes I’ve been typing:
(N) has done the following:

1. sung a song he didn’t know all the words to
2. greeted 4 customers with some kind of touch, a hug, hand shake, slight touch on the arm
3. suggested “dunking items” to go along with coffee orders
4. made his boss laugh nearly uncontrollably by bowing to her
5. smiled and looked his customers in the eye with genuine interest in them
6. called each girl “beautiful” and each boy “handsome”
7. he listened – yup – HE LISTENED!!

I find it’s really difficult to put into words the animation, energy and just the, for lack of a better word, “zeal!’ that this guy possesses.

Sometimes I wonder at the “realness” of a person like this. I mean, honestly, how can he keep up that kind of pace and sincerely give a rip about all the people that come to his counter? Somehow, I believe he’s genuine. There is just something about this guy that makes me believe he’s real. I’m sure there is a time when he comes down… and, frankly, I’m not sure I want to see that!

Really, though, He’s got something I want!

I want this kind of excitement to hit me when I leave my bed in the morning! I want the light to shine out my toes and fingers when I leave the shower! I want to genuinely look people in the eye and let them know I care about them!

I want this kind of energy to hit me when I sit down to create my art… perhaps approaching the paint and paper with more intention, more deliberation and more excitement will help. Sitting amidst the artwork waiting for the inspiration to jump out of the latest painting and into my head – just is not working.

I feel dry.

1 comment:

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

It amazes me that someone can be that bright and chipper at 7:20 a.m. when I walk my way through there in the morning.

I hear ya' sister. : )

Art Barista Archive